Thursday 25 April 2013

Edo ex-deputy gov, PDP leaders at loggerheads over election day killing


FORMER deputy governor of Edo State, Rev. Peter Obadan, a chieftain of Action Congress of Nigeria, ACN, and leaders of Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, in Owan West Local Government Area of Edo State, were, yesterday, at each other’s throat over the killing of one Imounu Orianran, at Sabongida Ora, during last Saturday’s local government elections in the state.
While Obadan described the deceased as a PDP thug, who was sent to assassinate him before his orderly shot him, former chairman of Owan West Council, Mr Dan Asekhame, argued that the deceased was not a political thug, accusing Obadan  of using police to harass the people on the election day.
Asekhame called on the Inspector General of Police to investigate the killing “so that justice will be done.” But Obadan, who spoke to newsmen on how he escaped death, narrated that “On Friday, the day before the elections, I was told to be careful on election day, that the PDP had marked some of us for elimination. Somebody leaked the information to my orderly. So, on the election day, after casting my vote and I was about leaving the polling station, we started hearing gunshots everywhere.
“I told my driver to drive off and head to the police station. But as we were leaving, we noticed some youths pursuing us, speeding and shooting. When it became clear that they were about blocking us, I told my orderly to return fire and one of them was shot on the leg.
I came down from my car to see the man, we collected the gun from him and I asked him who sent him to kill me. He was only saying Honourable, Honourable. The man was taken to the hospital but we heard later that he died. It was also later that we found a 9mm bullet, which they shot at my car.”

No comments:

Post a Comment